- This event has passed.
Instincts and Subtypes
November 2 - November 3
Each Enneagram type has three important variations known as instinctual subtypes. While everyone uses all three instincts (located in the body center) – self-preservation, one-to-oneand social – we each rely on one of these as our primary survival strategy. This combination of type and instinct determines our “subtype,” which creates a particular focus in daily life and distinctive style in relationships. In fact, subtypes are as important as personality types when it comes to daily life, where relationships – especially primary relationships – are largely shaped by instinct and emotion. Our instinctual subtype also influences the decisions we make about major projects and life goals.
Working with the Enneagram’s instinctual subtypes is a vital part of inner work and returning to our essential self. The 27 subtypes also illuminate the important variations among people of the same personality type. In key relationships, understanding subtypes brings these primary areas of focus to each person’s awareness and provides a language to describe similarities and differences.
The primary subtype focus shows up in our relationships in three vital areas:
- Self-preservation: Security issues reflected in personal warmth, finances, health and family
- One-to-one: A quest for union in individual connections, sexual intimacy and spiritual practice
- Social: Belonging and recognition through group participation, social structures and friendships
From Helen Palmer’s early workshops in Berkeley to current ESNT programs around the world, the Enneagram Narrative panel method brings the 9 types and 27 subtypes to life. This two-day workshop will help you:
- Connect to a greater sense of security, well-being and purpose
- Gain a better understanding of why people think, feel and act differently
- Improve communication, reduce conflict and build new bridges with loved ones
- Learn to meet each other’s needs for security, identity, contact and withdrawal
This stand-alone workshop is also part of our Enneagram Narrative Core Program. The format consists of short presentations, panel interviews in the Narrative Tradition, guided practices and discussion. Some knowledge of the Enneagram is expected.